ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > CC Archive > PC
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

PC The oldest and most flexible gaming platform, the PC has evolved and remained a mainstay for gamers. Get your PC gaming and general rig discussion here.

Old January 28th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #1
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 133
Games Wanted: 0
Review my PC purchase

Am I missing anything?

Beefy Enough (WRT Triple Monitor Gaming)? Comments? Suggestions?
  • HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 1.5TB
  • MoBo: Asus P6T Deluxe
  • CPU: Intel i7 920
  • Memory: 12 GB - Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333, Triple Channel
  • Video Cards 1 & 2: Geforce GTX 280 (planning to run SLI)
  • Video Card 3: Geforce 8400 (not for SLI... I just need it to handle SoftTH buffering for output to 3 monitors in a game w/o using TH2G)
  • PSU: 850W Thermaltake
  • Case: Thermaltake Tsunami Mirror Finish Aluminum ATX
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #2
humanity

humanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Looks pretty insane. Be careful if the HDD is the 7200.11 series. I'm not sure if they've worked all the bugs out yet. Many drives were dying unless the firmware was updated on them.

Are you using an optical drive from a previous system? Onboard sound I take it? What OS are you planning to run?
humanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #3
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanity View Post
Looks pretty insane. Be careful if the HDD is the 7200.11 series. I'm not sure if they've worked all the bugs out yet. Many drives were dying unless the firmware was updated on them.

Are you using an optical drive from a previous system? Onboard sound I take it? What OS are you planning to run?
ok, got an HDD recommendation then?

I forgot about the optical drive, but yeah, I can scrap one.

Onboard sound for now. Next time woot has a decent sound card available, I'll get it.

Vista 64 bit, I'd presume. I'm hoping I can burn a license from the office.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:04 PM   #4
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
It's probably only me but I would scrap the Thermaltake PSU. I've had awful luck with Thermaltake PSUs. If it were me, I'd go with:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817341011

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #5
humanity

humanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of lighthumanity is a glorious beacon of light

Games Owned: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriel View Post
ok, got an HDD recommendation then?
It's difficult to find a drive with that much space in that price range other than the Seagate. It's still a good option, but if there's a firmware update available I'd grab that before putting any data on the drive. It's supposed to have addressed the issue with them dying en masse.
humanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:21 PM   #6
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:
# HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 1.5TB
Quote:
Be careful if the HDD is the 7200.11 series. I'm not sure if they've worked all the bugs out yet. Many drives were dying unless the firmware was updated on them.
11 series is fine. The 9/10 series had the issue. 11 series shipping now have proper firmware on them.

Quote:
MoBo: Asus P6T Deluxe
I'd highly HIGHLY recommend switching this to an MSI X58 Platinum. It's cheaper, supports more memory (in case you ever want more than 12GB, lol), has better onboard audio, and has more PCI-Express x1/4 slots (3 x1 as opposed to only 1 x4). It only has two PCI-E x16 slots, as opposed to the 2x16 and 1x8, however, you stated you're not doing tri-SLI. You only want the 3rd video card for your 3rd monitor (and you could also use it for PhysX). A PCI 9400GT, or PCI-E anything thrown into an x1 slot will do just fine.

Quote:
CPU: Intel i7 920
I like the CPU choice. However, a Core2Quad Q9550 will be a little faster in MOST applications. Only the most demanding multi-threaded apps will be faster on the i7. This is a choice between current speed and future speed. If you don't plan to upgrade again for at least 3 years, stick with the i7. The Q9550 also requires a different socket/mobo anyway.

Quote:
Memory: 12 GB - Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333, Triple Channel
With all due respect, 4GB is more than enough for gaming today. Heck, 3GB is more then enough as well. Most computer nerds will tell you do either do 3GB triple channel for a cheap combo, 4GB dual-channel for ideal, and 6GB triple channel for future proofing. 12GB is needlessly expensive. Since you're obviously going for future proofing, I'm going to recommend a 6GB triple-channel kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231223

Quote:
Video Cards 1 & 2: Geforce GTX 280 (planning to run SLI)
Do yourself a favor and save some money. Get a single GTX295. It's basically two GTX280s on one board with a decent discount. As opposed to paying $300x2, you pay about $500, and only use one slot. As always, I recommend buying EVGA, even if you have to pay $5-$15 more.

Quote:
Video Card 3: Geforce 8400 (not for SLI... I just need it to handle SoftTH buffering for output to 3 monitors in a game w/o using TH2G)
EVGA 9400GT for $39.99 after rebate

Use that for your triple monitor setup, and PhysX. If you go with 2xGTX280, and my recommended mobo, put this in your PCI-E 1x slot. If you go with a single GTX295, obviously, use the 2nd x16 slot for this.

Quote:
PSU: 850W Thermaltake
I prefer SeaSonic, but this model from TT is basically the same thing at a low cost. Good choice.

Quote:
Case: Thermaltake Tsunami Mirror Finish Aluminum ATX
My first case was the TT Soprano. They look so much better on the box or online than they do in person. They're cheap, and a pain to work inside. I'd highly recommend you cough up the premium for a Lian-Li (or the Lian-Li supplied Rocketfish case for Best Buy). They're a dream to work inside, have excellent airflow, and have an elegant look to them. I'm using the K10B, which isn't so elegant, but is still the best case I've ever owned.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #7
fgarriel

n/m..

Last edited by fgarriel : January 28th, 2009 at 12:34 PM.
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:34 PM   #8
fgarriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
(and you could also use it for PhysX).
Use that for your triple monitor setup, and PhysX. If you go with 2xGTX280, and my recommended mobo, put this in your PCI-E 1x slot. If you go with a single GTX295, obviously, use the 2nd x16 slot for this.
Can you direct me to a PhysX FAQ or quick tutorial? I'm not sure I completely understand it / how to dedicate a GPU to PhysX.

Quote:
With all due respect, 4GB is more than enough for gaming today. Heck, 3GB is more then enough as well. Most computer nerds will tell you do either do 3GB triple channel for a cheap combo, 4GB dual-channel for ideal, and 6GB triple channel for future proofing. 12GB is needlessly expensive. Since you're obviously going for future proofing, I'm going to recommend a 6GB triple-channel kit.
Thanks. That'll save me some.

Quote:
Do yourself a favor and save some money. Get a single GTX295. It's basically two GTX280s on one board with a decent discount. As opposed to paying $300x2, you pay about $500, and only use one slot. As always, I recommend buying EVGA, even if you have to pay $5-$15 more.
I'm not 100% sure I can do this. I have it stuck in my head that I need 3 cards, but as I think about it now, I can't remember why. Maybe I thought I just needed SLI?
Old January 28th, 2009, 12:41 PM   #9
Exodus

Exodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud ofExodus has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 116
Quote:
Can you direct me to a PhysX FAQ or quick tutorial? I'm not sure I completely understand it / how to dedicate a GPU to PhysX.
The NV Forceware drivers (180 and above) have PhysX built-in for GF8, 9, and GTX200 series cards. You can use your main card or SLI cards for graphics and PhysX in games that support PhysX. Or, you can use a main card for graphics, and a lower end card for PhysX. The driver control panel will let you set this up.

Quote:
'm not 100% sure I can do this. I have it stuck in my head that I need 3 cards, but as I think about it now, I can't remember why. Maybe I thought I just needed SLI?
The GTX295 is 2xGTX280 in SLI...on one board. You don't need to occupy two slots for SLI. In this case, you buy one card, and the driver views it as two for the purpose of SLI. You can do the same things with this card that you can do with 2 GTX280s.
Exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM   #10
fgarriel

Ex, can I get video output on that second card if I use it for PhysX? This is important because I need to figure out a way to do 1900x1200 during apps, but TH2G widescreen stuff on games.
Old August 29th, 2019, 08:56 AM   #11
fgarriel

I'm still using this PC as my primary... in fact, typing on it now!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: