ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General ConsoleCity's general discussion forum, post anything and everything here.

Old March 12th, 2014, 11:11 AM   #1
Wolf

Wolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enough

PSN: Wolf2384

Games Owned: 245
Games Wanted: 0
Some Life Advice

Hey guys.

So I'm hitting 30 this year and am exploring my options. I work as a medical radiation technologist performing x-rays and CT scans here in Canada.

I have a fulltime job in the "boom" province. It pays well and I've been working here a year.

No debt and a decent amount of savings.

During my year here I haven't really met a whole lot of people. It's not that I've been trying terrible hard it's just that with shift work and such it's tricky to really coordinate with other people that aren't in healthcare.

I am eligible to practice my craft in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland (the commonwealth countries) and of course the UAE.

I've been heavily considering heading to Australia for a year for some international exposure and then rolling from there. Their economy is booming at the moment and there has been some sweet offers from potential employers as my skills are currently in demand.

However I've been heavily considering an MBA. I've been accepted to an EMBA program in the past but declined. However the University of Western Ontario (Ivey School of Business, probably the country's best B-School) offers a sweet 12 month MBA program with a focus on healthcare.

I would like to get into management one day when I get older or consult with hardware manufacturers (GE, Toshiba, Philips, Siemans, etc.). I think the MBA may be beneficial.

There are some smart bastards on this board and am wondering what would you do if you were me.

At one point I thought med school may be for me but after working in healthcare for five years and seeing their lifestyle I don't know if it's worth it to go to school for another five-eight years.

Not only that but it gets tough imaging an 80 year old's spine for the upteenth time because they have lower back pain. Or performing a headscan on someone due to a headache. Even Doctors in Canada are no realistic with their orders due to fear of litigation and it's just such a massive burden on the system. I just don't think I could handle the BS associated with being an MD.

Any pointers or examples from your lives would be much appreciated.

And thanks again for you input on my game collection's value. Especially Viiper, that spreadsheet with amazon price was great!
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:35 PM   #2
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
There are some smart bastards on this board and am wondering what would you do if you were me.
Fuck a lot of broads and eat expensive dinners.
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 12:46 PM   #3
Wolf

Wolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enoughWolf will become famous soon enough

I dunno homie. I've had my fair share of tail and empty fucks, while fun, leaves much to be desired. And the dinners are good but $$. Shit starts to add up.
Old March 12th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #4
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
Quit your job and hang out with speKtor.
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Baron3ss

Baron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished roadBaron3ss is on a distinguished road

Games Owned: 0
If the option to leave the country is on the table, and its not to some fucked up place like Dubai, always take it.
Baron3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
Go. Travel. See the world. Live.

If I had the opportunity to go to Australia i would take it in a heartbeat.

You'll become a crusty old fuck soon enough.

Send me a postcard.

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 02:44 PM   #7
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 133
Ok, more seriously. Move. Go get the brass ring. Do it while you've got nothing tying you down. We're not talking about backpacking and living on the edge, financially. We're talking about having the opportunity to advance your career and set the world on fire at the same time.

Stop bragging and just go!
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:03 PM   #8
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
What the guys said. The serious stuff I mean.
Old March 12th, 2014, 10:25 PM   #9
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

Games Owned: 189
I agree that you should move. It sounds like you really don't have a network of close friends that you will be missing. You will get the opportunity to live in another country while continuing to advance your career. Try really hard to be social and outgoing though. Get everything you can out of it. It will be a really good experience.

Would it be possible to pursue an MBA part-time from a reputable school in another country?
Old March 13th, 2014, 12:46 AM   #10
CAPninja

CAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really nice

Live!: King Barf

Traveling and living outside the states is the best thing I did in my life. It changed the way I view everything.
CAPninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:36 AM   #11
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieCAF View Post
Quit your job and hang out with speKtor.
Maybe he could use his MRI machine to see exactly how far up my ass you have crawled.
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #12
DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to all

Live!: TheDirtyOne

Games Owned: 71
Send a message via ICQ to DirtySanchez Send a message via AIM to DirtySanchez
Quote:
Originally Posted by erp View Post
Would it be possible to pursue an MBA part-time from a reputable school in another country?
I agree with the rest who said to go for it with moving to another country. But it's worth exploring if you could attend school there for your MBA, as well. If you can then it takes a sweet deal and turns it into an opportunity you couldn't possibly pass up.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Intruderb

Intruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud ofIntruderb has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 420
Games Wanted: 30
Id go Europe before Australia, you would get a much bigger diversion of people, culture and architecture. Its quite simple to hop on a train and go to different countries for a weekend. Australia does have legal brothels though.....
... first, your dick is going to TOUCH hairy man ass, second your dick is going to PENETRATE hairy man ass, and lastly you're going to have to FUCK hairy man ass until you nut. What if he starts fucking you back? What if the dude starts groaning? Hairy man ass groaning?
Intruderb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #14
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
Maybe he could use his MRI machine to see exactly how far up my ass you have crawled.
Unpossible. You already have your own head crammed up there
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 01:39 PM   #15
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Nice.

You guys both kill me.
Old March 13th, 2014, 03:30 PM   #16
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

In your position, you have almost nothing to lose by going to Australia. You will easily be able to get a job back here in a year if nothing sticks somewhere else. And that would still leave you with time to get that MBA before you even hit 35.

If you can work in Australia (assuming it's not but-fck Australia) for a year, I would certainly do it. Get the experience, try it out. Maybe it's shit and you want to come back after four months – it would still be worth the go.
Old March 13th, 2014, 06:45 PM   #17
BrntGuy

BrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond reputeBrntGuy has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Brntguy

Send a message via ICQ to BrntGuy Send a message via AIM to BrntGuy Send a message via MSN to BrntGuy
I vote for hitting Australia. Enjoyed the hell out of it myself. Western part Perth.
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:05 PM   #18
Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intruderb View Post
Id go Europe before Australia, you would get a much bigger diversion of people, culture and architecture. Its quite simple to hop on a train and go to different countries for a weekend. Australia does have legal brothels though.....
I would love to check Europe out too but unfortunately the UK/Ireland's economy isn't as booming as Australia at the moment. Germany always has jobs posted in my field but unfortunately trying to understand medical terms in another language is out of the question.

My idea would be to network in Australia as there are plenty of UK expats working down there from the sounds of things. I'm talking to an Aussie coworker up here and he's kind of like my "in" for down there so to speak.

I agree that you should move. It sounds like you really don't have a network of close friends that you will be missing. You will get the opportunity to live in another country while continuing to advance your career. Try really hard to be social and outgoing though. Get everything you can out of it. It will be a really good experience.

And with regards to pursuing an MBA in another country if an employer granted me a 457 Visa (allowing me to work there for four years) then yes, I def could. Melbourne and Sydney have some great programs and with Asia becoming a powerhouse economically speaking it's apparently the "Gateway" to Asia.

Thanks for your input guys. Hard to believe I've been posting on these damn boards for a decade. Hope everyone is doing well as I tend to lose touch often.
Old March 13th, 2014, 08:23 PM   #19
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieCAF View Post
Unpossible. You already have your own head crammed up there
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:41 PM   #20
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
No kids, no debts, no outstanding obligations stopping you from traveling someplace nice and getting paid at the same time.

I think you're a moron for even asking the question.

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2014, 10:49 PM   #21
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

No kids, no debts, no outstanding obligations stopping you from traveling someplace nice and getting paid at the same time.

Old March 14th, 2014, 02:29 AM   #22
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
MBA at INSEAD.
Old March 14th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #23
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Erbs

Games Owned: 3
Send a message via AIM to Erbs Send a message via MSN to Erbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin View Post

A double post, 8 minutes apart...

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ghosts_o...ex.php?act=idx
Erbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #24
Shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbs View Post
A double post, 8 minutes apart...

Had a connection problem and couldn't fix it.

Still it bears repeating. If the guy is really on the fence about it, he should stay home and let someone with ambition and balls take the Australian job instead.

Old March 15th, 2014, 09:39 AM   #25
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

I'm with people here about moving to Aussie. Just be careful of all the venom. I have a couple friends who have moved there/studied abroad and they LOVE it.

It sounds like a great-life opportunity!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: