ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General > Sports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports Sports talk goes here

Old May 22nd, 2013, 03:07 PM   #51
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
How good is Joey Votto and his OBP.

I know I talk about this every year, but it's insanely high.

He's now 18th all time in OBP.

He's at .482 for the season now and He is on fire right now, I think he eventually has a season with it over .500, he'd be the 1st person to do it since Mantle and Ted Williams in 1957 if you don't count Bonds.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old June 15th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #52
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Erbs

Games Owned: 3
Send a message via AIM to Erbs Send a message via MSN to Erbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post

He's at .482 for the season now and He is on fire right now, I think he eventually has a season with it over .500, he'd be the 1st person to do it since Mantle and Ted Williams in 1957 if you don't count Bonds.
Manny is better.

Most 2B Thru 68 Team Games
Under Age 22 Since 1920

2013 Manny Machado 30
1939 Ted Williams 25
1936 Joe DiMaggio 24

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ghosts_o...ex.php?act=idx
Erbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 10:43 AM   #53
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post

Aaaannnnnnnnnnnd now it's at .436 and dropping, lol. Since you posted this his OBP is .306.

You do this every year. A guy, usually a red, has an insane month and you predict he will do something ridiculous/historic because of it. And of course he never comes close because that's not how baseball works.
Old June 17th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #54
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
Aaaannnnnnnnnnnd now it's at .436 and dropping, lol. Since you posted this his OBP is .306.

You do this every year. A guy, usually a red, has an insane month and you predict he will do something ridiculous/historic because of it. And of course he never comes close because that's not how baseball works.
I think Machado has a legit shot at the doubles mark. He's young enough, a great contact hitter, and 3B isn't going to wear him out.

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

Old June 17th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #55
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

Interesting how some of the pre-season "expert pics" are doing:

Jays: 32-36 (just won 5 in a row)
Rays: 36-33
Angels: 30-39
Nats: 34-34
Dodgers: 29-39

I think most people would have said the Pujols and Hamilton signings were bad. But this bad (so far) is shocking. Long-term hurt.

The Dodgers are such a mess. But God bless them for taking Gonzalez, Crawford and Beckett off the books.
Old June 18th, 2013, 12:40 AM   #56
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitWise View Post

Rays: 36-33
Angels: 30-39
Nats: 34-34
Dodgers: 29-39

I think most people would have said the Pujols and Hamilton signings were bad. But this bad (so far) is shocking. Long-term hurt.

The Dodgers are such a mess. But God bless them for taking Gonzalez, Crawford and Beckett off the books.
The only team on that list that truly surprises me is Washington. They got off to an awful start and seem like they should be much better than they are. Their offence has disappeared.

Strasbourg has a 2.50 era, a 1.08 WHIP and avgs about a K per inning. Yet his record is 3-6!

Also the Royals have clawed back to .500 after just an awful month of May where they went 8-20.
Old June 18th, 2013, 08:27 PM   #57
Erbs

Quote:
The only team on that list that truly surprises me is Washington. They got off to an awful start and seem like they should be much better than they are. Their offence has disappeared.

Strasbourg has a 2.50 era, a 1.08 WHIP and avgs about a K per inning. Yet his record is 3-6!

Also the Royals have clawed back to .500 after just an awful month of May where they went 8-20.
The Nationals totally fucked themselves last year with the Strasburg debacle, and now this year they already said it's Davey Johnson's last year.

Old June 21st, 2013, 08:59 AM   #58
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

Just a little rant...

Bailey blew the save last night against the Tigers (a game the Sox needed to win) without recording an out. He's sucking. I also had the privilege of watching Hanrahan suck badly and then be lost (is that really the right word) for the season after TJ surgery.

What is it with GMs and closers? What is it in general with the myth of the closer? It's maddening.

There have been only two year-in-year-out closers in baseball the last five years (or so). Papelbon and Rivera. That's it. Stop chasing the myth.
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #59
bitWise

Quote:

Spoke too soon? Jays have won 11 in a row, now two games over 500 and only five back. Reyes should be back this week. All five teams in the east are above 500.
Old June 27th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #60
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

LOL what? have you see votto's OBP the past 5 years?

Old July 4th, 2013, 07:30 PM   #61
speKtor

Quote:
Spoke too soon? Jays have won 11 in a row, now two games over 500 and only five back. Reyes should be back this week. All five teams in the east are above 500.
Since they won 11 in a row they are 3-7 and currently down 4-0 to Detroit.
Old July 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM   #62
turningpoint

Quote:

Leads the NL faggot.

Old July 13th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #63
bitWise

Quote:
Since they won 11 in a row they are 3-7 and currently down 4-0 to Detroit.
Yep they figured out how to lose again.
Old July 17th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #64
Erbs

O's pitching probably won't hold up, but they've got a pretty sweet team.

Machado's play in the ASG was fucking awesome.

Old July 17th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #65
turningpoint

That ASG was lame.

Old July 19th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #66
Erbs

Manny's got 39 doubles so far...thats pretty ridiculous.

Old July 21st, 2013, 11:51 AM   #67
bitWise

Tampa only 1.5 games back. How did that happen? Are they good and competitive as the sports writers would have you believe or is it that their July schedule so far was:

7 games against the Astros
4 games v. twins
3 games v. white sox
3 games v. jays

That kind of run would help any team.
Still the East is tough.

The Sox have some pitching issues to work out.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:10 PM   #68
turningpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbs View Post
Manny's got 39 doubles so far...thats pretty ridiculous.
yeah, votto was on that pace last year i believe, until he got injured, would be cool to see him break the record.

Anyways these next 14 games will make or break the reds i think..

11 out west and then 3 at home vs the cardinals.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:02 PM   #69
bitWise

Braun suspended. I consider that a delayed suspension because the whole testosterone in the fridge thing was such BS.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 06:18 PM   #70
speKtor

Apparently they had Braun so cold that he cut a deal to escape a longer suspension. Which is bullshit. They should have nailed the fucker to the wall.

I hope he sends a "I'm a lying piece of shit" letter to the tester who he basically destroyed last year to get off.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:30 PM   #71
Erbs

Quote:
Apparently they had Braun so cold that he cut a deal to escape a longer suspension. Which is bullshit. They should have nailed the fucker to the wall.

I hope he sends a "I'm a lying piece of shit" letter to the tester who he basically destroyed last year to get off.
Hardballtalk is saying they have even stronger evidence against A-Rod. That oughtta be interesting.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:07 PM   #72
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
Can you imagine if they ban arod for life? haha
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:14 PM   #73
turningpoint

Didn't Braun just maintain his innocence in last night's press conference?

O and LOL, this most likely means the Brewers can afford 1 more decent player this offseason.

Brewers save about $4 million or so not having to pay him.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 12:19 PM   #74
Erbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
Can you imagine if they ban arod for life? haha
I can't see that, in today's age with the players union...ever actually happening.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:50 PM   #75
speKtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbs View Post
I can't see that, in today's age with the players union...ever actually happening.
This is a totally different union than it was 10 years ago. The players union isnt going to protect any of theses guys. They have already said that they will only bargain on their behalf and will offer no defence for anyone.

And its not surprising when you see how current players are reacting to this;

Quote:
“I can’t stand it. It needs to be eliminated from the game. I have an autographed Braun jersey in my baseball room that I’ll be taking down. I don’t want my son identifying what I’ve worked so hard to get to and work so hard to have -- I don’t want him comparing Braun to me.

“In my opinion, he should be suspended, lifetime ban. One strike, you’re out. It’s enough. It’s ridiculous. You’re still doing this? This guy is one of the main guys that are the face of the franchise and the face of baseball. For him to do this and maybe get caught twice already is ridiculous. A guy loses his job because of it. Hopefully, he gets that back. He lied. He lied to a lot of people. I was convinced, after that MVP, that he didn’t do it. I think he should hand over that MVP to Matt Kemp.

“Suspend them all. It needs to get out of baseball, so how are you going to do it? I know we have an agreement; we all agreed upon the agreement -- 50, 100. I thought that was enough at the beginning of it. But apparently not. Watching him talk right now makes me sick.”

-Skip Schumacher

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: