ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General > Sports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports Sports talk goes here

Old October 2nd, 2013, 10:22 AM   #126
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart Gamer View Post
Oh and Andrew McCutchen is your NL MVP.

Write it down.
You say that like its controversial. I dont think there is much doubt he is the NL MVP. The only guy who has a case is Kershaw but i dont think he will get enough support (pitchers shouldnt win the MVP anyway).
Old October 2nd, 2013, 01:53 PM   #127
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart Gamer View Post
RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!

Well that was a gem all right.

Don't worry Pete. You can take solace in whipping the Steelers sorry asses.

On to St. Louis!

LET'S GO BUCS!!!
Good work! I hope you guys can handle Saint Louis our team was playing like complete crap anyways.

Your teams office guys deserve some due credit, making the move for byrd and mornue really made that club a ton stronger. Russell Martin has helped you guys out a ton all year with the pitching staff and his offense really helped last night.

Votto has looked lost for about the past month, usually he looks confident at the plate, lately he's looked scared and confused, i really hope that changes this off season.

Excited for next year, should be another 3 way race.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2013, 02:59 PM   #128
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
Votto has looked lost for about the past month, usually he looks confident at the plate, lately he's looked scared and confused, i really hope that changes this off season.

I dont watch as much NL as i used too when the Expos were around (which is too bad because its better) but I agree about Votto. That one AB in I think it was the 4th inning or so he flailed at three straight Liriano sliders that never had a hope of being strikes. Very un-Votto like.
Old October 4th, 2013, 06:19 PM   #129
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
Bye bye Dusty!

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #130
speKtor

If your favourite team isn't in the playoffs, how can you not root for the pirates? So cool to see that park going nuts.
Old October 10th, 2013, 01:42 PM   #131
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
If your favourite team isn't in the playoffs, how can you not root for the pirates? So cool to see that park going nuts.
Agreed, too bad they lost to STL.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Dodgers vs Boston WS, which will be good for baseball.

Old October 11th, 2013, 12:53 AM   #132
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
So if you went on the Oakland A's Wikipedia page a little earlier today, under Owner(s) it said "Justin Verlander."
Old October 16th, 2013, 02:26 PM   #133
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
Agreed, too bad they lost to STL.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a Dodgers vs Boston WS, which will be good for baseball.
Looks like it will be the Cards. I would like to see Boston start hitting as these games have been nerve-wracking to watch.
Old October 16th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #134
speKtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
So if you went on the Oakland A's Wikipedia page a little earlier today, under Owner(s) it said "Justin Verlander."
Thats pretty damn funny. But the truth is that the A's have choked against pretty much everyone in the playoffs for the better part of a decade. Verlander is just the latest.
Old October 16th, 2013, 11:42 PM   #135
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 189
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:24 PM   #136
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

Can you believe it?

Two grand slams? Absolutely crazy.

This could be a great world series.
Old October 20th, 2013, 08:41 PM   #137
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
*sigh* They just can't get over that hump.
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:51 AM   #138
turningpoint

Fucking cardinals.

Go Boston, ugh.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:21 PM   #139
speKtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
*sigh* They just can't get over that hump.
Maybe the second time will finally convince them to do something about their pen. Clearly the first time didnt.

The Royals didnt make the playoffs but damn is it a nice luxury to have a great bullpen.
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #140
bitWise

Really rough night for the Cards. I don't think you have a worse first game (or maybe any game for that matter).

We'll see if the Sox are really in form tonight against Wacha.
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:29 AM   #141
turningpoint

LOL at the cardinals, cmon boston!

Old October 28th, 2013, 01:41 PM   #142
Meursault's Head

Meursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud of

Live!: Meursaults Head

You know this series is ending with a balk.
Old October 29th, 2013, 08:54 AM   #143
bitWise

That pick off at first was so good. I don't know why they were holding him really but it all worked out.

Koji did it on his own. Asked if there was something in the scouting reports that made him think he could do it, he answered that he "doesn't read the reports".

Guy is just awesome. Last night three strikes to Adams to end the 8th. 15 pitches in total to get four outs.

Ortiz in the WS so far:

BA 733, OBP 750, SLG 1.267 = OPS 2.017

And that's with Beltran robbing him of a grand slam in the first game.

It's easy to second guess managers but Matheny has made a few strange choices pulling starters and using his pen. When you've got so many guys out there that seem incapable of throwing less than 95 mph, I don't know why he left Wainwright in last night or brought in Maness to face Gomes the other night.
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #144
speKtor

Ortiz is getting all the attention (for basically hitting a ton of singles and never scoring) but if the Red Sox win Lester is the guy they should be thanking. He has been absolutely dominant. 15.1 IP, 1 ER, only 10 base runners allowed, 15:1 K/BB. Without him the Red Sox might be done already.
Old October 29th, 2013, 09:56 AM   #145
bitWise

He's got six RBI (two others have three and one of those is Gomes who got them all in one AB, not that I'm complaining), and has scored five runs. Pedroia has also scored five and there are four players with two runs scored. He also hasn't struck out and has walked four times (nearest on the team is twice).

So offensively, he's performing far above anyone on the Sox and only Holliday is close on the Cards.

But yes, Lester has been a total stud. It's been great to see him pitch this well especially last night in what I thought was a critical game for the Sox. Now they have to go up against Wacha again and if they don't win have Peavy starting game seven (but I'm hoping it doesn't come to that).

I'm also thinking that the Sox may do better against Wacha a second time around. He must be due for an average outing right? Lackey has been sharp so as long he's on and Farrell manages the pen well I think they can get it done.

Quote:
Ortiz is getting all the attention (for basically hitting a ton of singles and never scoring) but if the Red Sox win Lester is the guy they should be thanking. He has been absolutely dominant. 15.1 IP, 1 ER, only 10 base runners allowed, 15:1 K/BB. Without him the Red Sox might be done already.
Old October 29th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #146
speKtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitWise View Post
He's got six RBI
RBI's are just a result of circumstance. They are almost completely out of the control of the hitter. He has no say if he comes up in an RBI situation or not.

My comment about hitting mostly singles is more due to the fact that people love to shit on other players who hit a ton of singles (Ichiro for example) and deride their value but when a popular guy like Ortiz (who is much less likely to actually make something out of a single) does it, they wont shut up about it.

Basically, I hate FOX broadcasts.

Last edited by speKtor : October 29th, 2013 at 11:06 AM.
speKtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #147
bitWise

Quote:
RBI's are just a result of circumstance. They are almost completely out of the control of the hitter. He has no say if he comes up in an RBI situation or not.
They are. And in this case I have a feeling a lot of his are down to Pedroia being in front of him.

However, I find the RBI discussion to be a circular one. You have to have runners on but then you also have to hit with runners on. So the argument goes that if no one is on base in front of Papi he doesn't get the RBI even if he's hitting well. But if you sub him for Drew, none of those runs are plated.

I know that the value of RBI as a measure of performance (player value) is greatly diminished now but (especially in a small sample size) do they still remain an indicator of how good a player is hitting (again, other things being equal)? If Papi's in a slump during the WS he won't be driving anyone in – just hitting DPs into the shift.

Crap, maybe I'm running in circles. But do you get the gist of my question?

Quote:
Basically, I hate FOX broadcasts.
As do I. I feel like they've hit an all-time low with this WS, however. The Pearl Jam plugs are killing me. Buck and McCarver are as bad as ever. And missing the pick-off the other night because the camera was on some blonde in the stands is just ridiculous.
Old October 29th, 2013, 12:38 PM   #148
Meursault's Head

Meursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud of

Live!: Meursaults Head

I like that the Phils stacked their line-up with guys who don't hit RBIs. No need to stay out and watch all of this post season baseball.
Old October 30th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #149
speKtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitWise View Post
I know that the value of RBI as a measure of performance (player value) is greatly diminished now but (especially in a small sample size) do they still remain an indicator of how good a player is hitting (again, other things being equal)? If Papi's in a slump during the WS he won't be driving anyone in – just hitting DPs into the shift.
RBI's really dont say much about how a player is hitting other than they are probably getting lots of RBI opportunities.

You dont have to be tearing the cover off the ball to drive in runs, you just have to get hits in the right situations. And remember, you can gain an RBI without even getting a hit. I remember one series this year where the Royals were playing Cleveland (I think it was Cleveland). and one of the Indians players had only 2 hits in the series but collected 9 RBI or something ridiculous like that. He hit under .200 for the series but had a couple key hits and a bunch of RBI outs. Conversely, you can be tearing the cover off the ball but if you never come up with RISP you probably arent going to get many RBI.

The only thing you can really infer from RBI is that a guy with alot of them probably plays for a team that scores alot of runs. But even thats not a given.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: