ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General > Sports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports Sports talk goes here

Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:59 PM   #76
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
Games Wanted: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbs View Post
I can't see that, in today's age with the players union...ever actually happening.
Arod also reportedly interfered with MLB's investigation as well, so this guy is in some deep shit.

It doesn't help that absolutely no one likes the guy. If anything, MLB would probably be more than willing to make Arod the example.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old July 29th, 2013, 10:50 PM   #77
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Erbs

Games Owned: 3
Send a message via AIM to Erbs Send a message via MSN to Erbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
Arod also reportedly interfered with MLB's investigation as well, so this guy is in some deep shit.

It doesn't help that absolutely no one likes the guy. If anything, MLB would probably be more than willing to make Arod the example.
I agree, but I mean...he's never been suspended before...and to go from no punishment to banned for life...I dunno. Just seems like a crazy idea. And I'm an O's fan. I'd love to see the fucker banned for life, don't get me wrong. But if it actually happens, it'd just seem surreal.

I guess the current talk is MLB is trying to see if he'll accept a deal where he'll be suspended through 2014.

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ghosts_o...ex.php?act=idx
Erbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2013, 02:15 PM   #78
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Quote:
I agree, but I mean...he's never been suspended before...and to go from no punishment to banned for life...I dunno. Just seems like a crazy idea.

Pete Rose was never suspended before his lifetime ban.

Different circumstances but not that different IMHO.
Old July 31st, 2013, 05:00 PM   #79
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
Pete Rose was never suspended before his lifetime ban.

Different circumstances but not that different IMHO.
You think Rose should've ever been banned in the first place?

Supposedly the word is MLB's gonna rule on the A-Rod stuff on Friday and if doesn't accept a plea deal, he's gonna be suspended for life.

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

Old July 31st, 2013, 06:34 PM   #80
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You think Rose should've ever been banned in the first place?
Absolutely. He committed the cardinal sin of baseball. He knew what he was doing and he knew the consequences if he got caught (and lied about it for like 20 years). This wasnt some grey area or obscure rule. There are literally signs posted in the clubhouses that say if you get caught betting on baseball you are ruled permanently ineligible. I'm perfectly fine with Pete Rose never being in baseball again.

What confuses me is all these people who say he should get let back in. Why? Because he has the most hits? Thats like saying Charles Mason should be let free because he did some really great charity work before he killed all those people.
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:56 PM   #81
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 0
As a Red Sox fan I have to admit that I don't care to see A-Rod banned for life. Solves too many problems for the Yanks.

I'm also irritated that Bartolo Colon is going to avoid suspension. If this guy isn't on something (other than doughnuts) I'm Cy Young.

Pete Rose should have been banned and probably should not be reinstated. The only qualm I have about Rose is that he had a gambling problem. That's a major issue that is difficult to control. Unfortunately he didn't do anything to help himself out.
Old July 31st, 2013, 07:59 PM   #82
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
I saw this on USA Today's website:

Quote:
Commissioner Bud Selig is prepared to levy a lifetime suspension on New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez, while suspending about eight others before the weekend, two people with knowledge of the negotiations told USA TODAY Sports.

"I hope he does it,'' former Commissioner Fay Vincent told USA TODAY Sports. "It's right for baseball. The harder he comes down, the better it is for baseball.''

Full Article
The article goes on to say that Rodriguez will appeal any suspension, regardless of how harsh it is, but that most of the other eight will accept their punishments, without appeal.
Old July 31st, 2013, 11:44 PM   #83
speKtor

The other 8 don't stand to lose 100 million dollars.
Old August 1st, 2013, 08:33 AM   #84
Razor

Razor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via ICQ to Razor
It's funny how everyone is rooting for the 'man' on this one.

Anyhow - correct. We could be looking at a landmark in Baseball History here, and it's beneficial to the stability of the game.
Old August 1st, 2013, 09:33 AM   #85
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
I would actually feel bad for Arod if he's banned for life. Pretty sure he would commit suicide.

Suspend him this year and all of next with no pay. Arod would have to agree with it but I mean it's either that or get banned for life.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 12:23 PM   #86
speKtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
I would actually feel bad for Arod if he's banned for life. Pretty sure he would commit suicide.

Hold on a second. Lets have a little context here. This is a big deal in the narrow scope of sports only. In real life, this means absolutely nothing.

-he has made like a quarter of a billion (with a B) dollars playing baseball.
-He is 38 years old which might be old in sports terms but in real life he's not even fucking 40 yet. Shit he is only 6 years older than I am and has been set for life since he was 20.
-he did all of this willingly. He knew what he was doing was against the rules. He knew all the consequences and he did it anyway.

Sorry if I dont feel too bad for Alex Rodriguez.

Last edited by speKtor : August 1st, 2013 at 12:26 PM.
speKtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 01:08 PM   #87
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
Hold on a second. Lets have a little context here. This is a big deal in the narrow scope of sports only. In real life, this means absolutely nothing.

-he has made like a quarter of a billion (with a B) dollars playing baseball.
-He is 38 years old which might be old in sports terms but in real life he's not even fucking 40 yet. Shit he is only 6 years older than I am and has been set for life since he was 20.
-he did all of this willingly. He knew what he was doing was against the rules. He knew all the consequences and he did it anyway.

Sorry if I dont feel too bad for Alex Rodriguez.
Yeah but how is he supposed to buy a franchise if he's banned from baseball?

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2013, 03:04 PM   #88
Erbs

I don't feel bad at all for A-rod, however, it will be bullshit if the Yankees are free from his salary if he is banned.

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:00 PM   #89
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

Quote:
I don't feel bad at all for A-rod, however, it will be bullshit if the Yankees are free from his salary if he is banned.
That's just it. It would help them out so much and I want them to suffer for their mistakes.

Funny that Showalter came out and said the same thing.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 07:40 AM   #90
Erbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitWise View Post
That's just it. It would help them out so much and I want them to suffer for their mistakes.

Funny that Showalter came out and said the same thing.
Yeah, I saw that. Apparently he thought he was off the record lol, oh well.

It is bullshit if it pans out that way, for sure.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:36 AM   #91
speKtor

Meh, its the Yankees. They are gonna do what they do regardless if they are paying ARod or not.

Besides they likely wouldnt have had to pay him anyway. If ARod does what alot of people thing he is going to do (claim that his hip injury wont let him play anymore and retire) insurance will pay out 80% of his remaining salary.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 09:03 AM   #92
Erbs

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/?p=489598

Looks like MLB might push the deadline back to Monday. Also, Nelson Cruz and Jhonny Peralta will be suspended as well apparently.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:34 AM   #93
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Quote:
http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/?p=489598

Also, Nelson Cruz and Jhonny Peralta will be suspended as well apparently.
A few days ago the Tigers, in anticipation of losing Peralta, went out and acquired Jose Iglesias from the Red Sox.
Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:28 PM   #94
bitWise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
A few days ago the Tigers, in anticipation of losing Peralta, went out and acquired Jose Iglesias from the Red Sox.
I was sad to see Iglesias go. I think the naysayers may be right about his bat but my goodness that glove is amazing. You'll have a lot of fun watching him in the field.
Old August 5th, 2013, 02:32 PM   #95
Jerome

Well, A-Rod has been suspended through 2014, and will miss 211 games. Twelve other players received 50 game suspensions.
Old August 6th, 2013, 04:46 PM   #96
cagmere

cagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Cag1082

Send a message via AIM to cagmere
A-Rod will likely get his suspension reduced to less than half through the appeal. There is no basis or consistency with the suspension he was dealt compared to the terms agreed upon in the CBA.
Old August 6th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #97
speKtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagmere View Post
A-Rod will likely get his suspension reduced to less than half through the appeal. There is no basis or consistency with the suspension he was dealt compared to the terms agreed upon in the CBA.
The terms agreed upon in the CBA (50 game, 100 game, lifetime ban) are for cases of a positive test. This is not a positive test, it was a investigation. As such MLB can apply any punishment it feels necessary. It is not bound by the CBA or drug agreement.

It may get cut down on appeal (seems unlikely) but it wont be for anything to do with the existing CBA.
Old August 7th, 2013, 09:40 AM   #98
Jerome

At least MLB doesn't have to worry about Shyam Das being the one to hear his appeal.
Old August 7th, 2013, 01:53 PM   #99
Razor

Razor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via ICQ to Razor
Bud Selig and the MLB Power's that be, have blown it again.

Although it is unethical, I could have seen the Commissioner's Office increasing the Rodriguez's punishment in anticipation of Appeal. They did not appear to do this.

He was quite vocal in his intent to contend punishment outside of the CBA PED 50 game staple suspension. Bud Selig did not invoke his power to protect the game, and Alex Continues to play.

Alex Rodriguez is now in a situation where he has admitted to using PED's, then using PED's some more after that, and then - from everything reported thus far - found guilty of recruitment and interference. He is also in a situation, to have his suspension reduced.

Rodriguez's defense has a point. Nowhere in the CBA does it state certifiable additional punishments for recruiting other players into doping, or interfering with MLB investigators.

This is why I'm such a big fan of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell. In Bountygate: He didn't have a breadcrumb trail of the money being paid out, but he had people dead to rights for harming the integrity of the game.

It wasn't a big problem for the sport, nor was it a historic ongoing problem, nor did it change the outcome of games. But it still harmed the integrity of the game.

GM's got suspended. Coaches got suspended. Assistant coaches got suspended. Players got suspended. Owners were fined.

It didn't matter that Paul Tagliabue reversed some of it. The message of non-toleration was clear, and you bet your ass noone is putting bounties out anymore.

The PED message isn't sent. I'm a player - it's still under consideration for me. I'll do what I have to do to gain a competitive edge, because I know other players are doing it, and I have to take care of my family. Fuck your Integrity and Sportsmanship. Think the Private Sector has Integrity and Sportsmanship?

This is about leveling the playing field, and MLB has blown it again.
Old August 7th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #100
bitWise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Bud Selig and the MLB Power's that be, have blown it again.
I'm not a Selig fan but I think they've done a good job with this situation on the whole.

I'm guessing that Selig's office balanced the likely outcomes from various suspension/banning scenarios and decided on a suspension that would stick and give them a chance of avoiding an appeal (that part didn't work out).

The big win in all of this for MLB is that they did their work, gathered the evidence, found the cheaters, and got them all to agree to suspensions (save A-Rod) without any positive tests. That's not a small feat. Also, this entire process has brought out a lot of player support. Going forward that's also big.

What I would like to see from MLB and the players is to change a first offence to a season-long suspension. Second offence banned from the game for life.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: