ConsoleCity Forums   GameStop, Inc.

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General > Sports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports Sports talk goes here

Old August 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM   #101
cagmere

cagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond reputecagmere has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Cag1082

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
Send a message via AIM to cagmere
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitWise View Post
I'm not a Selig fan but I think they've done a good job with this situation on the whole.

I'm guessing that Selig's office balanced the likely outcomes from various suspension/banning scenarios and decided on a suspension that would stick and give them a chance of avoiding an appeal (that part didn't work out).

The big win in all of this for MLB is that they did their work, gathered the evidence, found the cheaters, and got them all to agree to suspensions (save A-Rod) without any positive tests. That's not a small feat. Also, this entire process has brought out a lot of player support. Going forward that's also big.

What I would like to see from MLB and the players is to change a first offence to a season-long suspension. Second offence banned from the game for life.
That's the problem though. There weren't any positive tests (save for Braun last year). These players are taking stuff that isn't detectable through the sanctioned drug tests, so who the hell knows how many players out there are cheating and just haven't been caught. The only reason that the MLB caught any wind of this was through a newspaper and social media, not through anything that their "investigators" were able to come up with.

Also, let's not forget Melky Cabrera last year when he did what he could to impede the investigation by creating a fake website and lying, and he got the standard 50 game suspension.

The game will never be clean again, and rather than catching a few people here and there, they'd be better off letting the players do what the hell they want. That's the only way that the playing field will ever be level. It still takes great hand/eye coordination to hit a baseball, nothing that any steroid or HGH can produce.
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:09 AM   #102
Vid Gamer

Vid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of lightVid Gamer is a glorious beacon of light

Live!: BizzyBum
PSN: BizzyBum
Steam: BizzyBum

Games Owned: 375
It is kinda a joke.. they ban him then he appeals which is his right but it's just so strange that he can play the rest of the season like nothing happened then have the appeal in the off season and it will most likely be heavily reduced. Arod will probably end up playing in the 2014 season.
Vid Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #103
Razor

Razor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of lightRazor is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via ICQ to Razor
If Alex Rodriguez finishes the 2013 season, and has an opportunity to rejoin the Yankees after the break next year - in my honest opinion - he should just keep taking the steroids.
Old August 8th, 2013, 11:39 PM   #104
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid Gamer View Post
It is kinda a joke.. they ban him then he appeals which is his right but it's just so strange that he can play the rest of the season like nothing happened then have the appeal in the off season and it will most likely be heavily reduced. Arod will probably end up playing in the 2014 season.
I haven't really followed any of the news, once his suspension was announced. I knew he'd be able to continue to play, while he went through the appeal process... but his appeal won't be heard until the off-season?! If that's the case then talk about lame!

In other news, the Tigers are on fire right now. I saw this on FoxSports and thought it was kind of cool. I'm surprised it hasn't happened in SO long:

Quote:
The Tigers have won 12 in a row for the first time since Sept. 2-14, 2011.

Coupled with a 13-game winning streak by idle Atlanta, this marks the first time in major league history that two teams have had winning streaks of at least 12 games at the same time during a season since May 16, 1884, STATS said. That was the only other time it occurred - the St. Louis Maroons had won 15 straight, the New York Gothams had taken 12 in a row.

Full Article
Old August 14th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #105
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
This NL Central Race is going to be a fun one to watch over the next 1.5months.

It's going to be interesting. 2 of the teams will be in a 1 game playoff and 1 will be the title holder. Would be even more interesting if 2 of them had the same record, it would almost give the 3rd place team an advantage if there was a 1 game playoff between the top 2 teams.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #106
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

Charlie Manuel just got axed. Wow. I have no idea if he's a great manager and his time was coming to an end but seems rather classless. Not his fault that Ruben Amaro hands out contracts like a drunken sailor.
Old August 16th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #107
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Charlie Manuel just got axed. Wow. I have no idea if he's a great manager and his time was coming to an end but seems rather classless. Not his fault that Ruben Amaro hands out contracts like a drunken sailor.
That's pretty shitty actually, led them to a world series they should have let him finish out the season.

I hope a story comes out that he wanted to retire or it was health related.

Old August 17th, 2013, 02:22 AM   #108
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 189
They were planning on honoring Charlie Manuel for his recent 1,000th career win on Friday night but instead they fired him. That's pretty messed up. They could have at least waited a few days.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/the-ph...ead-fired-him/

Quote:
"I didn’t resign and I did not quit,” Manuel said. “Let me tell you something: I’ve never quit nothing. And I didn’t resign."
It definitely wasn't his decision but he was offered a front office job, so it seems he is still on somewhat good terms with the organization.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/p...ie-Manuel.html

With the exception of the 1993 Phillies, Charlie was the coach during the best time that I am old enough to remember.

-Never finished a season under .500
-5 straight division titles
-Back to back World Series appearances
-2008 World Series Championship
-2009-2011 - considered the team to beat
Old August 18th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #109
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Erbs

Games Owned: 3
Send a message via AIM to Erbs Send a message via MSN to Erbs
The Dodgers are on a fucking roll.

Jim Johnson can go fuck himself.

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ghosts_o...ex.php?act=idx
Erbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 12:49 AM   #110
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Quote:
Biggest ninth-inning comeback in 66 years helps Tigers beat White Sox in 12

The Tigers, who looked as if they were ready to be toe-tagged Saturday as they came to bat in the ninth, trailing, 6-0, pulled off a last-night-of-summer surprise Saturday when they scored six in the ninth to tie it and won it in the 12th on three walks and a one-out infield single from Omar Infante.

From The Detroit News
Amazing comeback.
Old September 23rd, 2013, 08:49 AM   #111
turningpoint

Really hoping the nationals can take it to the Cardinals.

2 games back of the division with 6 games to go, would love to see the reds pull it off somehow.

Old September 23rd, 2013, 02:03 PM   #112
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
I lost my fantasy baseball league on a difference of 0.0054 difference in WHIP

Me and the guy in the finals against me tied after sunday night so it went to a tie breaker which was WHIP. Instead of rounding it up they look at the actual exact value. Mine was 1.3026. His was 1.2972.

Last edited by speKtor : September 23rd, 2013 at 02:06 PM.
speKtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #113
turningpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post

Me and the guy in the finals against me tied after sunday night so it went to a tie breaker which was WHIP. Instead of rounding it up they look at the actual exact value. Mine was 1.3026. His was 1.2972.
Yike that sucks.

Old September 24th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #114
bitWise

bitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud ofbitWise has much to be proud of

Quote:

You needed Uehara on your team.

72 innings pitched, 0.567 WHIP.

Also, 99 Ks, 9 BB, 370 ERA+

Just RIDICULOUS
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:21 PM   #115
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You needed Uehara on your team.

72 innings pitched, 0.567 WHIP.

Also, 99 Ks, 9 BB, 370 ERA+

Just RIDICULOUS
Well I had Greg Holland so its not like I was really hurting when it came to relievers.

65 IP, 99k, 0.83 WHIP, 329 ERA+
Old September 24th, 2013, 01:16 PM   #116
bitWise

Quote:
Well I had Greg Holland so its not like I was really hurting when it came to relievers.

65 IP, 99k, 0.83 WHIP, 329 ERA+
also just RIDICULOUS

but no way does he high-five like koji.

Old September 24th, 2013, 01:44 PM   #117
speKtor

Quote:
also just RIDICULOUS

but no way does he high-five like koji.

hahaha. I love how he just slaps the one guy (Victorino?) pretty much in the face at the end because he didnt have his hand up.
Old September 26th, 2013, 01:30 PM   #118
turningpoint

Well the reds screwed the pooch, would really like to see them take 2 out of 3 vs the pirates then the 1 game wild card will be here in Cincinnati.

Old September 26th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #119
Jerome

Quote:
New low for Astros: 0.0 TV rating

According to television’s official scorekeeper, nobody in the 20-county Greater Houston area watched the Astros’ game Sunday at Cleveland.

The score was 9-2 in favor of the Indians on the scoreboard and 0.0 for Comcast SportsNet Houston — the regional network owned by the Astros, Rockets and NBC Sports Group — in the daily report compiled by the Nielsen Co., which measures television viewing levels.

It was the first time in Houston, where games have been broadcast on cable outlets since 1983, and perhaps the first time in the history of Major League Baseball that an MLB game had no measurable viewership in its home market.

Full Article
That's gotta' hurt.
Old September 27th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #120
turningpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome View Post
That's gotta' hurt.
They're such bandwagon fans down there and it makes sense.

They were perennial contenders with biggio and bagwell all those years that fans expected to see a good team out there, now i can't name a player on that team worth a shit.

It will be like this 2-3 more years i bet while the develop minor league talent and stock up cash piles so they can blow it all on FA's...

I like what the owner is doing, why spend money on FA's if the rest of your team sucks anyways? save the money and use it correctly....

Old September 28th, 2013, 09:36 PM   #121
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
Well the reds screwed the pooch, would really like to see them take 2 out of 3 vs the pirates then the 1 game wild card will be here in Cincinnati.
See you in Pittsburgh!

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #122
turningpoint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart Gamer View Post
See you in Pittsburgh!
Prepare for a let down!!! Cueto i'll bet delivers a gem.

Old October 1st, 2013, 09:36 PM   #123
Meursault's Head

Meursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud ofMeursault's Head has much to be proud of

Live!: Meursaults Head

Gotta root for the PA team....
Old October 1st, 2013, 11:21 PM   #124
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turningpoint View Post
Prepare for a let down!!! Cueto i'll bet delivers a gem.
RAISE THE JOLLY ROGER!!!

Well that was a gem all right.

Don't worry Pete. You can take solace in whipping the Steelers sorry asses.

On to St. Louis!

LET'S GO BUCS!!!

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Old October 2nd, 2013, 09:57 AM   #125
Old Fart Gamer

Oh and Andrew McCutchen is your NL MVP.

Write it down.

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006

Display Modes Rate This Thread