ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General ConsoleCity's general discussion forum, post anything and everything here.

Old June 14th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #1
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 28
Games Wanted: 0
Are you a "Germaphobic?"

It seems like people have been going insane about "germs" in the last decade. Antibacterial soap, sanitizing wipes, "microban" in plastics, etc. At work they even have wall mounted "hand sanitizers" in the hallways.

Now this story on CNET:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20007483-17.html

Good Housekeeping tested 3D glasses at movie theaters looking for "germs". Germs are everywhere. As Mythbuster said, "poo is everywhere", so who cares if 3D glasses have germs? It's not like they're used as eating utensils or surgery tools.

Some of the comments after the story are entertaining:

"Just think you put the glasses on, then stick your hands into your popcorn, which you then insert into your mouth."
-Hey_Radar

Wow! And just think you touch the armrest of the seat, the cloth armrest that probably has decades of festering germs embedded in it, then touch the popcorn which gets inserted into your mouth. Scary stuff.

"Why even bother putting them in sealed plastic other than to fool people into thinking the glasses are clean? This is outrageous."
-GentleNation

Lawsuit! Lawsuit! They're "fooling people!"

"Just one of the several reasons I will not watch a 3d movie"
-mike2k9

So I take it if the other reasons were eliminated, he'd still avoid 3D out of germ paranoia? Unbelievable.

But I like this comment by "gefitz ":

"Anyone that is bothered or even cares much about this should probably be floating around in a thick plastic bubble. I think wearing the glasses on the outside of your bubble during the movie will probably result in some loss of the 3D experience.

If I feel like cleaning those glasses, I think I'll just lick 'em."

So is anyone here a "germaphobic?"

It seems like an exercise in futility. You cannot sanitize the entire planet.
DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old June 14th, 2010, 01:57 PM   #2
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
Are you a "Germaphobic?"

Hell no.

I've made it 50 years without being one and I've been sick maybe twice in the last five years.

No reason to start now.

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:03 PM   #3
Gamblor

Gamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to Gamblor
I believe its "germophobe".

I wash my hands frequently, but I'm always touching peoples nasty ass keyboards. A few weeks ago one of them was growing mold on it.
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #4
DG

DG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond reputeDG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamblor View Post
I wash my hands frequently, but I'm always touching peoples nasty ass keyboards. A few weeks ago one of them was growing mold on it.
Keyboards have got to be one of the filthiest things on the planet outside of a sewer. I wash my hands at the "standard times" like after using the bathroom, before eating, etc. but I do occasionally eat lunch at my desk at work, going back and forth between the filthy keyboard and my food.

And like OFG, I rarely get sick these days.
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #5
Gamblor

Gamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud ofGamblor has much to be proud of

Send a message via AIM to Gamblor
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
Keyboards have got to be one of the filthiest things on the planet outside of a sewer. I wash my hands at the "standard times" like after using the bathroom, before eating, etc. but I do occasionally eat lunch at my desk at work, going back and forth between the filthy keyboard and my food.

And like OFG, I rarely get sick these days.
My keyboard looks clean, so I don't mind it. Some of these people...jesus christ. The mold one looked like somebody had spilled tomato soup all over it and then never cleaned it up.
Gamblor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM   #6
CAPninja

CAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really nice

Live!: King Barf

Nope. I'm a dirty son of a bitch.
CAPninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:39 PM   #7
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 189
Quote:
At work they even have wall mounted "hand sanitizers" in the hallways.
Was it installed within the last couple years? Many companies started installing them when the H1N1 scare came about.
erp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM   #8
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by erp View Post
Was it installed within the last couple years? Many companies started installing them when the H1N1 scare came about.
Same at my company.

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 05:45 AM   #9
George

George has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura aboutGeorge has a spectacular aura about

Live!: G Monroy

Games Owned: 1
I wash my hands and face with antibacterial soap and my complexion looks great.
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:16 AM   #10
RookieCAF

RookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond reputeRookieCAF has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 331
Games Wanted: 5
I work in food service. I'm very aware of bacteria and food contamination issues and wash my hands all the time and practice safe food handling. I don't want to make anyone sick. By the same token I will not use hand sanitizer unless there is no other option. That stuff makes my hands angry.
So, what are you saying. That men actually pay you for sex?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefMATRIXense
that's correct.

RookieCAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:22 AM   #11
KidRockDog

KidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via Yahoo to KidRockDog
If there's a flu or another bug going around I carry a small tube of Germ X and use it after coming into contact with someone or a common surface (door knob, keyboard, telephone) and make it a point not to touch my nose or mouth. Other than that I just wash my hands after pissing and that's pretty much it. Haven't had the flu in over 10 years or a cold in 2 or 3, so it seems to work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
I wash my hands and face with antibacterial soap and my complexion looks great.
Why do you wash your face with antibacterial soap? I have dry skin sometimes as it is, especially in the winter, if I washed my face with antibacterial soap I'd probably get sent to a leper colony.

Last edited by KidRockDog : June 15th, 2010 at 07:26 AM.
KidRockDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:35 AM   #12
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by erp View Post
Same here. They also put up stupid "how to wash your hands" signs in the bathroom.

But they did no good. Sometimes some pig will come out of the stall, presumably after wiping their shitty ass, then just walk out the door without even doing the 'pretend wash' where they turn on the water and swipe their filthy hands underneath once.

So I do open the filthy bathroom door with my shirt or a paper towel. That's my germaphobia. I know "poo is everywhere" but I'd rather not have poo that fresh on my hands.

My feeling about the signs is that people who want to wash their hands already know how to do so and people who think their glorious ass is sterile won't wash up even if a sign tells them to.
Old June 15th, 2010, 09:45 AM   #13
Z_E_R_O

Z_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of lightZ_E_R_O is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
I'd rather not have poo that fresh on my hands.
Nice.

I would just prefer it to be a sausagefest.
Z_E_R_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:05 AM   #14
GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 369
Send a message via AIM to GuitarGuru
My brother in laws ex-wife is a germ freak. I'm talking latex gloves and dust masks when she goes out into public. She does the same with her 3 kids too.

I got into it big time with her because her kids were aways sick. I tried to explain that if she continues to constantally sanitize her kids, they are never gonna build up their immunity system and will always be sick. She was doing more harm than good. I told her that was child abuse and she went ballistic. Nonetheless, I called her a psycho cunt and told her I was going to call DCF if it continued.

Haven't seen her in months.
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:10 AM   #15
KidRockDog

KidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond reputeKidRockDog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
I got into it big time with her because her kids were aways sick. I tried to explain that if she continues to constantally sanitize her kids, they are never gonna build up their immunity system and will always be sick. She was doing more harm than good. I told her that was child abuse and she went ballistic. Nonetheless, I called her a psycho cunt and told her I was going to call DCF if it continued.
Sucks for her kids...they're going to be allergic to everything.

If one of them is a girl wouldn't that even be passed down to the kids eventual children? Babies get antibodies from the mom, but if she's allergic to dust (or whatever) does that mean her kid will be too?
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:22 AM   #16
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarGuru View Post
My brother in laws ex-wife is a germ freak. I'm talking latex gloves and dust masks when she goes out into public. She does the same with her 3 kids too.
I haven't seen anyone that extreme but I've seen mothers who carry around sanitizing wipes and gels and swab down everything their kids may come in contact with. It's really gross to see a mom squirt that nasty jell all over their kid's hands right before they eat. "Enjoy your sterilized petrochemical flavored ice-cream sandwich kid."
Quote:
I tried to explain that if she continues to constantally sanitize her kids, they are never gonna build up their immunity system and will always be sick. She was doing more harm than good.
Even if they don't end up physically sick they'll end up mentally damaged. Living in fear of touching anything can't be good for your mental health. Her kids will end up living like Howard Hughes did when he was a psycho recluse who wouldn't touch anything with his bare hands.
Old June 15th, 2010, 10:25 AM   #17
KidRockDog

Quote:
Her kids will end up living like Howard Hughes did when he was a psycho recluse who wouldn't touch anything with his bare hands.
Hughes came to my mind when I first read Guru's post too.
Old June 15th, 2010, 01:35 PM   #18
GuitarGuru

GuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond reputeGuitarGuru has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 369
Send a message via AIM to GuitarGuru
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRockDog View Post
Hughes came to my mind when I first read Guru's post too.
I know that lunatic howie mandel is like that too. I remember him telling a story how when be goes to a hotel, he wraps his arms up in toilet paper then strips the sheets and comforters off the beds so he doesn't have to touch them.
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #19
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

We evolved to live in the fucking dirt, eat raw meat (scavenge), and people are worried about some germs on a doorknob? WTF.

The human immune system (if not compromised) is truly capable of protecting a person from everyday germs. Of course there are more dangerous bugs and viruses, but you can't live your life trying to hide from them. Plus, if you sanitize everything you are just making more room for the really bad bugs to grow.
Old June 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM   #20
KidRockDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsofun28 View Post
The human immune system (if not compromised) is truly capable of protecting a person from everyday germs.
And getting over minor illnesses and infections, but we choose to medicate everything and super bugs are born.
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #21
Mooreberg

Mooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really niceMooreberg is just really nice

PSN: Fahrenhype

Games Owned: 112
Send a message via AIM to Mooreberg
No but I always wash my hands before I eat, and I always wash my hands after handling money. That shit is filthy.
Old June 15th, 2010, 03:26 PM   #22
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooreberg View Post
...I always wash my hands after handling money. That shit is filthy.
Some coins are incredibly filthy, so filthy I wonder how they got that way. Some look like they must have been stashed up a convict's ass for years so he'd have a nest egg once he got let out. I've seen coins so encrusted you can only tell what they are by the size, the engravings are buried in crud.

So I don't blame you at all for washing your hands after handling money.
Old June 15th, 2010, 04:36 PM   #23
Aeon Storm

Aeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond reputeAeon Storm has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 2081
Games Wanted: 213
Quote:
Her kids will end up living like Howard Hughes did when he was a psycho recluse who wouldn't touch anything with his bare hands.
Mysophobia is a small price to pay to live like Howard Hughes. I don't think most parents would mind if that was the trade off.

At any rate, I use sani-wipes all the time. I carry wipes and sanitizer in the van and in my wife's purse. I never touch bathroom doors with my bare hands and I clean my hands after after touching most things outside of the home. Shopping carts, keyboards, money, etc..
Old June 15th, 2010, 07:16 PM   #24
notsofun28

notsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant futurenotsofun28 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon Storm View Post
Mysophobia is a small price to pay to live like Howard Hughes. I don't think most parents would mind if that was the trade off.

At any rate, I use sani-wipes all the time. I carry wipes and sanitizer in the van and in my wife's purse. I never touch bathroom doors with my bare hands and I clean my hands after after touching most things outside of the home. Shopping carts, keyboards, money, etc..
How often do you get sick?

I don't really do anything as intense as you do to stay sanitary, and I get sick maybe once a year at most. I wonder if you are wasting your time?
Old June 15th, 2010, 11:11 PM   #25
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
Quote:
I haven't seen anyone that extreme but I've seen mothers who carry around sanitizing wipes and gels and swab down everything their kids may come in contact with. It's really gross to see a mom squirt that nasty jell all over their kid's hands right before they eat. "Enjoy your sterilized petrochemical flavored ice-cream sandwich kid."
I'm not sure I'd classify alcohol as a petrochemical.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: