GameStop, Inc.
ConsoleCity Forums

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > Dricas Gaming Forums > General Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion General discussion of Dricas Gaming. Discuss all things relevant to the site.

Old December 6th, 2000, 02:41 PM   #1
2ON2orgy

2ON2orgy has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Games Owned: 0
Games Wanted: 0
I am thinking about buying quake III arena, i wonder if any of you quake owneres could tell me how good the online experience is, and if it is worth buying...

thankyou

weavesteak
2ON2orgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old December 6th, 2000, 03:45 PM   #2
*Rambo*

*Rambo* can only hope to improve*Rambo* can only hope to improve

GOING INTO *RAMBO* MODE!!!

DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!!!
Never since Street Fighter II back in 1991 have I played a game sooooooo much! With Quake 3, I enter a whole new reality. It's like having a holodeck on Star Trek. Every day at work I can't wait to get home to play Q3 online. You see the same people online day in and out and miss them when you're away. This game has caused me to shun most of my friends and family since its release in late October. I estimate that I've probably put around 300 hours on this game! NEVER have I played a game soooo much! Not even SF2! Soooo, your best bet is to stay FAR AWAY from what is arguably the best game ever!!!!
*Rambo*
*Rambo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2000, 03:49 PM   #3
2ON2orgy

2ON2orgy has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Thanks

Thanx Rambo, you have saved me from buying this game. my family is important to me, and I dont want to "SHUN" them i still would like more feedback on this subject though..

2ON2orgy
2ON2orgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2000, 01:48 PM   #4
sirbills

sirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these parts

buy it now!

lol good one Rambo! This game is pretty phat. I agree with pretty much everything Rambo said. This game has caused me to get only 4 hours of sleep a day. I use to need 6 hours a day. Not anymore. So if you want to keep regular sleeping hours do not buy this game!hehe

The online experince is excellent. When the game first came out it use to lag a little on the weekends. But now I can say that it hardly ever lags at all anymore. So this is a game you should definitely add to your collection.

Hey Rambo I was just wondering, do you use the keyboard and mouse? Or the dreamcast joystick? Good analogy with the Star Trek holodeck. I'm a voyager fan myself. 7 of 9 is one of the hottest women on TV in my opinion. I wonder if her cans are real or fake? lol
sirbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2000, 02:28 PM   #5
jaydot

jaydot is on a distinguished roadjaydot is on a distinguished roadjaydot is on a distinguished roadjaydot is on a distinguished road

i have to agree,quake 3 is pretty fun.about the only thing i don't like is that there is no find player feature like in nfl2k1.i have a question now.did anybody read about playing this game online to open new characters?did this get removed before release or something?my game started with 42 characters(not including different colors)and i haven't opened any more since.just wondering
jaydot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2000, 11:01 AM   #6
*Rambo*

Controller configuration

Hey Sirbills....(I might have spelled that wrong), I do use a mouse/keyboard combo. I am not a PC user and I always thought that the mouse/keyboard combo was the most ridiculous thing I ever heard of. I was VERY biased. I did go ahead and but the mouse though when Q3 arrived because 1)I always NEED to have the latest DC trinkets and 2)EVERYWHERE I turn people are saying the m/k combo is the way to go. Well, needless to say that I've never thurned back. the m/k combo is the greatest thing ever. I thought it would make the game somehow less fun but boy was I wrong!
I use the left button for firing, the right for jumping, the side button for zoom, and the wheel for weapon scrolling. (Using the wheel is a bad habit to start as the best way to change weapons is to have deticated buttons on the keyboard.) I use the arrow buttons to move around, the number "1" on the number pad is for items, "0" is for crouch, "ctrl" is for walking (never use it), and shift is for "taunt." I do have the "delete", "end", and "page down" keys set up for the best weapons but I am not in the habit of using them.

Oh yeah, about 7 of 9.......I have a life-size cardboard standup of her right behind me here in my apartment!
*Rambo*
Old December 11th, 2000, 11:19 AM   #7
sirbills

sirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these partssirbills is infamous around these parts

I need to make a change

Yeah, I've been using the DC controller and the KB. But like you said everyone says the KB, mouse is the best bet. I think I'm going to make the switch soon. I can't seem to pull off those flip jumps with the DC controller. Maybe because its range of motion is limited. I think I'm going to try your setup. You got the name right man, thanks! :] You know what I really want to see? Seven of nine in PLAYBOY!hehe Please let it happen soon! Peace man.

sirbills
sirbills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2000, 05:23 PM   #8
DrewMan70

DrewMan70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Difference between PC and Dreamcast?

I've been on-line deathmatch on PC since 1989 (Doom, Doom 2, Duke Nukem, Quake I, II, & III). KB and mouse IS the way to go. Mouse allows precise control of view with variable speed, unlike single speed keystroke or control pad.

Need the word on PC vs. Dreamcast for Q3. Graphics? Customability? How about being restricted to only 4 players?
DrewMan70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2000, 08:12 PM   #9
*Rambo*

DC VS PC

Well, as far as DC VS PC on Q3, here's the scoop.
You'd be hard pressed to find better graphics on the DC. Quake 3, epecially on my 19" VGA monitor looks incredibly good. I HIGHLY reccommend using a monitor with your DC especially if you're comparing between PC games. Final word on graphics: Tie between DC and high-end PC.
The control on DC Q3 is perfect IMO. The mouse and keyboard combo works flawlessly and you can set it up ANY way you want. Final word on control: Tie between DC and PC.
I have a friend who is a big time PC user and he was blown away by Q3 on DC. He had better results with online playability with the DC version. Final word on online playability: Just as good as the PC version.
What about having only 4 players?? I was very sceptical about this at first as it didn't seem like enough but trust me, it's perfect! The way the arenas are designed are perfect for 2-4 players. I WOULDN'T WANT ANY MORE PEOPLE IN THE ARENAS THAN 4! In fact, after playing the game for around 300 hours, I prefer the TOURNEY srvers as 1 on 1 seems to be the most fun. Even being a spectator in TOURNEY mode is fun as you can sit back and eat/drink and watch someone far away in the US or overseas play a game. Much better than TV or a movie IMO!!! lol
Customibilty. I know that the PC version is infinitely customizable but the DC version has it's fair share of cool things. a countless array of console commands (I don't know all of them) are there to change maps, kick people, change game modes and settings, etc. Final word on customibility: The PC version may offer more but the DC version lacks nothing that we can't live without.
The last thing I can say is that the DC version offers EASE and COMFORTABILTY. Ease as in easy to use. Put game in DC. Push power. Easy! lol Comfortability as in no need to sit at a computer desk in an upright, hard chair. Sit back on your comfy couch with an awesome surround stereo and big TV screen and go to town! (Although the VGA adapter with a 19"+ monitor is better than a big TV IMO...I prefer quality (VGA) over quantity (big TV screen))

*Rambo*

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: