ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General ConsoleCity's general discussion forum, post anything and everything here.

Old July 8th, 2013, 05:26 PM   #1
BIG MIKE

BIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: beerhammer

Games Owned: 1
Games Wanted: 0
Board Games

I kinda remember an old thread about board games in here. Bought a trailer and started camping with the family- think it might be fun to get a board game to play while we are out. I'm not thinking "monopoly" type board games, was thinking something along the lines of "Arkham Horror" type games. Would like to find something that's good for beginners just starting out. Something that will hold the attention of my two teenagers and something I can figure out after a handful of cold beers!

Any suggestions?

member and founder of the"space wasting, off topic bastards club"

'May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.'

R.I.P KRD, I miss you buddy.
BIG MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old July 8th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: ivangimpo

Games Owned: 219
Send a message via AIM to Pahn
I really like Betrayal at the House on the Hill. It's good if you don't mind the first part of the game being a bit of setup. I figure it beats regular setup, because at least it involves the other players. And there's always somebody that falls into the basement, which is hilarious. Especially since it's guaranteed to be the same person every time (at least in my group).

Also, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne.
Old July 9th, 2013, 02:36 AM   #3
CAPninja

CAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really nice

Live!: King Barf

Games Owned: 0
For teenagers and beer I would recommend these.(that sounds weird)

Last Night on Earth

Small World

Tales of Arabian Nights

Railways of the World

Formula D
CAPninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #4
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

Games Owned: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG MIKE View Post
Would like to find something that's good for beginners just starting out. Something that will hold the attention of my two teenagers and something I can figure out after a handful of cold beers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne.
Yes, Catan and Carcassonne.
Also, Ticket to Ride, Qwirkle, and Kingdom Builder.
fgarriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #5
CAPninja

CAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really niceCAPninja is just really nice

I think he wanted something more thematic, since he mentioned Arkham Horror. I can't really see teenage boys getting into Qwirkle. Not that it's a bad game I own both Qwirkle and Qwirkle Cubes.
Old July 9th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #6
BIG MIKE

BIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond reputeBIG MIKE has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, cap nailed it- looking for something with a "horror" type theme to get them interested. Once they get into it and see how much fun it can be I think I can introduce them to other type games. When you tell a teenager "board game" they immediately go "Urgh,,,,,,, I'm not playing no monopoly!" LoL

'May the wind always be at your back and the sun upon your face. And may the winds of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars.'

Old July 10th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #7
fgarriel

fgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant futurefgarriel has a brilliant future

I hesitate to "recommend" Fluxx to anyone, but for a game that's light on strategy and big on "fun", try Zombie Fluxx.

"The Resistance" is a great, short game. The game is basically everyone trying to convince everyone that they are not a spy while the actual spies sabotage the "good guys" plans. Sci-Fi themed.
Old July 10th, 2013, 01:56 PM   #8
Pahn

Pahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond reputePahn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgarriel View Post
"The Resistance" is a great, short game. The game is basically everyone trying to convince everyone that they are not a spy while the actual spies sabotage the "good guys" plans. Sci-Fi themed.
Ugh, I hate that game.
Old July 10th, 2013, 07:00 PM   #9
fgarriel

Quote:
Ugh, I hate that game.
It's a good game for a family to socialize over. It's not terribly deep or rewarding though.
Old July 11th, 2013, 07:25 AM   #10
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

Arkham Horror is a really good gateway game. It is very heavy on theme, it is just the right amount of complicated and it host a pretty big number of players with 8. I highly recommend it. Just make sure before you play it, to familiarize yourself with the rules very well and try to get a solo game or two under your belt before introducing it to anyone else. It is purely cooperative, however, so you don't get to bump heads with anyone.
Old July 12th, 2013, 06:27 PM   #11
BIG MIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tetsuo- View Post
Arkham Horror is a really good gateway game. It is very heavy on theme, it is just the right amount of complicated and it host a pretty big number of players with 8. I highly recommend it. Just make sure before you play it, to familiarize yourself with the rules very well and try to get a solo game or two under your belt before introducing it to anyone else. It is purely cooperative, however, so you don't get to bump heads with anyone.
I was really thinking about this one, wasn't sure if it would be a good introductory game or not, so it's not that hard to figure out?

Old July 12th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #12
CAPninja

I wouldn't consider it an introductory game. Not because its hard to grasp, it's easy. But because of the very long play time.

The box has a play time of 2-4hrs. With expierienced players it can be shorter than that, and with noobs it can be longer. I normally get new players addicted to boardgames with a faster pace before I dump a long game like this on them. It's a gateway game to longer games, but not a gateway game to new gamers.
Old July 16th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #13
BIG MIKE

Well, maybe I'll try "Last night on earth" first and then move on to the longer "Arkham horror" game!

Old July 16th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #14
Pahn

Hey CAP, have you ever played Minion Hunter?

I really like it, though it can be difficult to find the right difficulty balance. Using the default rules, it's a bit too easy to win. Using the harder rules, it's nearly impossible.
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #15
CAPninja

Quote:
Hey CAP, have you ever played Minion Hunter?

I really like it, though it can be difficult to find the right difficulty balance. Using the default rules, it's a bit too easy to win. Using the harder rules, it's nearly impossible.
I've never played it but I love Co-ops. I found a print and play version I can put on my list of games to build. Thanks!
Old July 17th, 2013, 07:41 PM   #16
-Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light-Tetsuo- is a glorious beacon of light

If you want the simple stuff Twilight Imperium is clearly the game for you.
Old July 18th, 2013, 01:58 AM   #17
Pahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Tetsuo- View Post
If you want the simple stuff Twilight Imperium is clearly the game for you.
I think this may be a lie. A big lie.
Old July 18th, 2013, 02:18 AM   #18
Julez

Julez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: PattF

Zombies is a lot of fun, or Munchkin.
Old July 18th, 2013, 09:45 AM   #19
CAPninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez View Post
Munchkin is 20 mins of fun packed into an hour. Blech!!! It's the one game I own that I hate.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 03:43 PM   #20
fgarriel

Quote:
I don't like either of these games. Actually, I hate Munchkin.
Old July 24th, 2013, 04:14 PM   #21
Erbs

Erbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond reputeErbs has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: Erbs

Games Owned: 3
Send a message via AIM to Erbs Send a message via MSN to Erbs
Cranium and Dicecapades are fun.

Also...not a board game...but Cards Against Humanity is fantastic.

"I just didn't realize that freaks like Xeo had been busy building shrines in their bedrooms to the God of PGR2 before I started criticising the game." - DG

http://s13.invisionfree.com/Ghosts_o...ex.php?act=idx
Erbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2013, 07:13 PM   #22
Julez

Julez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond reputeJulez has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPninja View Post
Munchkin is 20 mins of fun packed into an hour. Blech!!! It's the one game I own that I hate.
That's why you play with the fast rules. The normal game is torture.
Old August 4th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #23
Julez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbs View Post
Cranium and Dicecapades are fun.

Also...not a board game...but Cards Against Humanity is fantastic.
That's the more adult version of Apples To Apples right? I've wanted to check it out or awhile.
Old August 4th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #24
DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to all

Live!: TheDirtyOne

Games Owned: 71
Send a message via ICQ to DirtySanchez Send a message via AIM to DirtySanchez
Quote:
That's the more adult version of Apples To Apples right? I've wanted to check it out or awhile.
Correct, and played with the right group of people, incredibly funny. I got the main game and one of the expansion sets for Christmas last year and it's been enjoyed many times, but the smarter and dirtier the crowd the better it is.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #25
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
I'm pretty tempted to fund this kickstarter board game, because it sounds pretty interesting... and it involves the area I grew up in.

Last edited by Jerome : May 14th, 2014 at 06:58 PM.
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: