ConsoleCity Forums  

Go Back   ConsoleCity Forums > ConsoleCity > General > Sports
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Sports Sports talk goes here

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:04 PM   #1
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Games Owned: 95
Games Wanted: 0
NFL 2015-2016 Season

The NFL released this year's schedule. So far I've only looked at the Packers' schedule, and it has some interesting matchups:

WK --- OPPONENT
1 @ Chicago Bears
2 SEATTLE SEAHAWKS
3 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS (MNF)
4 @ San Francisco 49ers
5 ST. LOUIS RAMS
6 SAN DIEGO CHARGERS
7 BYE
8 @ Denver Broncos
9 @ Carolina Panthers
10 DETROIT LIONS
11 @ Minnesota Vikings
12 CHICAGO BEARS (Thanksgiving)
13 @ Detroit Lions (TNF)
14 DALLAS COWBOYS
15 @ Oakland Raiders
16 @ Arizona Cardinals
17 MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Week one in Chicago means Bears fans will get to the see their hopes of a successful season crushed right off the bat.

The lead up to week two will generate a lot of headlines, for obvious reasons... which I do not wish to discuss any further

Week eight will mark only the second time Rodgers will have gone up against Peyton Manning. Their first meeting was back in 2008, when Manning was still with the Colts. The Packers won 34 to 14.

In week twelve the Packers will be hosting their first Thanksgiving game since 1923. Not only is it against the Bears, but they'll also have a number retirement ceremony for Favre. This Thanksgiving game will also mark the third of four straight games against their NFC North opponents... making it a pretty crazy stretch.

Overall their schedule features 4 division winners, and 6 playoff teams from last season. Although in the end it doesn't mean much, they have the 14th toughest schedule, based on last season.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:46 AM   #2
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
The NFL is the only sport in the world that makes a big deal about releasing the schedule for the upcoming year. Its crazy. And the sad thing is, it totally works and people get super excited about it.

At this point i'm pretty sure the NFL could produce a TV show that is just a still photo of a football for an hour and it would beat every other show in its time slot.
Old April 22nd, 2015, 09:08 AM   #3
2Legit84

2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts

Live!: Freakish Mind

Games Owned: 0
Send a message via AIM to 2Legit84
Quote:
Originally Posted by speKtor View Post
The NFL is the only sport in the world that makes a big deal about releasing the schedule for the upcoming year. Its crazy. And the sad thing is, it totally works and people get super excited about it.

At this point i'm pretty sure the NFL could produce a TV show that is just a still photo of a football for an hour and it would beat every other show in its time slot.

16 games vs 82 games vs 162 games.....Pretty easy to see why people get excited for the NFL schedule. When the NBA releases their schedule, people just want to know when they are playing against Lebron.
2Legit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:04 AM   #4
Jerome

Jerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud ofJerome has much to be proud of

Quote:
Shhhh... Don't give them any ideas.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:03 PM   #5
speKtor

speKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond reputespeKtor has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: MarsupialJones

Games Owned: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Legit84 View Post
16 games vs 82 games vs 162 games.....Pretty easy to see why people get excited for the NFL schedule.
No....its really not. They play pretty much the same damn teams every year, just on different dates. I dont need to see the schedule to know the Bills are going to spend most of the year playing the Patriots, Dolphins, Jets and the other AFC teams they didnt play last year.

Here is the Bills schedule from last year

Bears
Dolphins
Chargers
Texans
Lions
Patriots
Vikings
Jets
Chiefs
Dolphins
Jets
Browns
Broncos
Packers
Raiders
Patriots

and here is the 2015 Schedule

Colts
Patriots
Dolphins
Giants
Titans
Bengals
Jaguars
Dolphins
Jets
Patriots
Chiefs
Texans
Eagles
Redskins
Cowboys
Jets

8 of their 16 opponents are the same as last year and 4 of the remaining 8 are simply AFC teams they didnt play last year. I could have guessed 12 of thier 16 opponents before they released the schedule. What exactly am I supposed to get excited about?

Last edited by speKtor : April 23rd, 2015 at 11:11 PM.
speKtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2015, 04:09 AM   #6
Mark H. Yeates

Mark H. Yeates has a little shameless behaviour in the past

So what does everyone think about the new Philadelphia Eagles's schedule?

http://profootballschedules.com/2015...agles-schedule

What do you think our record will be after all is said and done?
Mark H. Yeates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #7
Shaolin

Shaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond reputeShaolin has a reputation beyond repute

Games Owned: 92
Send a message via ICQ to Shaolin Send a message via Yahoo to Shaolin
Spek is right. The NFL does a masterful job of keeping its product in the public eye all year round. Its an unmatched hype industry. The other major league sports should learn from the NFL how to create their own cults where motherfuckers are taking days off just to watch the damned draft. Seriously, people?!

Shaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #8
Jerome

There's no question the NFL has basically become a year round event. As soon as the season and playoffs end they start hyping the combine, pro-days, etc. Then of course the draft, mini-camps, and pre-season. Then of course there's fantasy football.

I don't think I've ever watched an entire draft. I'll go online and see who the Packers picked, or if I'm flipping through channels and Green Bay is going to be on the clock soon, I'll see who they select. After that I really don't care. It's amazing to me fans will go and attend the draft. Personally, I just don't see the appeal, but whatever floats their boat I guess.
Old May 6th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #9
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
Ugh yes its over hyped, but am I interested on when we play our oppenents? Yes yes I am. Also you know all 16 opponents before the schedule is released. It's something fun to do in April along with the draft. I dont watch the stupid shows, hell I think selection sunday for the NCAA b ball tourney is retarded also, so is the NBA lottery pick show, but if people are interested why not make a show? Its also fun to see how the national pundits think each team will do.

Anyways ive got the Bengals going 12-4 and into the playoffs for a 5 straight year. Will they win? Who the fuck knows.

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 01:45 PM   #10
Shinobi128

Shinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the roughShinobi128 is a jewel in the rough

Games Owned: 104
>Insert any football news source here<

A report by lawyer Ted Wells said that Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was “at least generally aware of the inappropriate activities” of two Patriots employees who were deflating footballs.
Shinobi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #11
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 190
Quote:
No....its really not. They play pretty much the same damn teams every year, just on different dates. I dont need to see the schedule to know the Bills are going to spend most of the year playing the Patriots, Dolphins, Jets and the other AFC teams they didnt play last year.

8 of their 16 opponents are the same as last year and 4 of the remaining 8 are simply AFC teams they didnt play last year. I could have guessed 12 of thier 16 opponents before they released the schedule. What exactly am I supposed to get excited about?
They need to keep nearly half the games the same to maintain division rivalries, if you like that sort of thing. With only 16 games, and 11 wins possibly not being enough to make the playoffs, those other 10 opponents become very important. There may not be much room for error so an easier schedule can really help. With other sports the number of games is so plentiful that nobody really cares about the schedule. A loss in football is huge while in baseball you just shake it off figure you will go out and win tomorrow. With baseball the only thing interesting about the schedule is who your team will face in interleague play. Football also seems to be the most popular sport so it isn't surprising it is followed year round.
Old May 11th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #12
Jerome

Looks like the Patriots' season will be off to a rough start:

Quote:
Patriots' Tom Brady suspended 4 games

The NFL announced Monday that Tom Brady has been suspended without pay for four games for violating the NFL policy on the integrity of the game. The team will also be fined $1 million and will forfeit a 2016 first-rounder and 2017 fourth-round selection in the NFL Draft.

Commissioner Roger Goodell authorized the discipline that was imposed by NFL Executive President Troy Vincent, who made it clear that Brady's lack of cooperation with the league's investigation was a factor in the punishment.

Full NFL.com Article
Old May 12th, 2015, 09:26 AM   #13
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
Sounds about right to me.

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 07:51 AM   #14
turningpoint

turningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond reputeturningpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Send a message via AIM to turningpoint
I'm willing to bet the patriots go 3-1 at worst without brady

turningpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 10:19 AM   #15
Jerome

It wouldn't surprise me, to see them go 3-1. Everybody thought they were doomed when Brady went down back in '08, and Matt Cassel led them to a 11-5 season. Still, I could also see them going 1-3 (losing to the Steelers, Bills and Cowboys).

Of course Brady is going to appeal his punishment, and I won't be shocked if his suspension is reduced... so it might not even matter anyway.
Old May 15th, 2015, 11:34 AM   #16
Jerome

O... M... G...

Quote:
Patriots 'Deflator' explanation simply a big fat joke

The Patriots lawyered up and released nearly 20,000 words of pure comedy Thursday afternoon in a sad attempt to create reasonable doubt with the desperate hope that the gullible and weak-minded will buy their knee-slapping hilarity.

The few passages of believability were overshadowed by mountains of nonsense highlighted by the preposterous notion that McNally, the disgraced locker room assistant in the DeflateGate saga that has further sullied the Patriots’ brand, labeled himself the “Deflator” because he wanted to lose weight, not because he deflated footballs to appease Tom Brady.

"(Patriots equipment assistant) Mr. Jastremski would sometimes work out and bulk up — he is a slender guy and his goal was to get to 200 pounds," the report stated. "Mr. McNally is a big fellow and had the opposite goal: to lose weight. 'Deflate' was a term they used to refer to losing weight."

Full Article
BAHAHAHAHAHA!!! As hilarious as that is, it's kind of sad that there are Patriots fans actually supporting this excuse. I saw three different articles, on three different sites, with a user going by Dan Boyn or DanBoy125 posting the exact same defense... nearly word for word.
Old May 16th, 2015, 10:35 PM   #17
erp

erp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura abouterp has a spectacular aura about

PSN: nittynittsters

Games Owned: 190
Fans will always defend their team but they are really embarrassing themselves with this over the top fanboyism.
Old May 19th, 2015, 04:04 PM   #18
Jerome

Quote:
New England Patriots will not appeal NFL decision

The New England Patriots will accept their discipline handed down by the NFL following the investigation into the use of under-inflated footballs in the AFC Championship Game.

Patriots owner Robert Kraft announced Tuesday at the Spring League Meeting that the team will not appeal its punishment, which includes a $1 million fine and the loss of a first-round pick in 2016 and a fourth-round selection in 2017.

Minutes after Kraft left the podium, NFL Players Association executive George Atallah tweeted that the Patriots' decision not to appeal "will not impact" the union appeal of Brady's suspension. The NFLPA later officially moved to recuse Commissioner Roger Goodell as arbitrator in Brady's appeal.

Full NFL.com Article
From what I understand this all comes after meeting with Goodell... Hmm...
Old May 20th, 2015, 06:25 AM   #19
Old Fart Gamer

Old Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond reputeOld Fart Gamer has a reputation beyond repute

PSN: Big_Daddy_OFG

Games Owned: 18
I'm sure Goodell showed Kraft all the stuff that wasn't made public and Bobby knuckled.

~Moon Tears

"Live and let live."

Logan Douglas Hannan
1/1/2006 - 3/10/2006
Rest in peace, little man.
Old Fart Gamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2015, 12:58 AM   #20
Jerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Fart Gamer View Post
I'm sure Goodell showed Kraft all the stuff that wasn't made public and Bobby knuckled.
Certainly a possibility. I also thought perhaps with an agreement to not appeal the NFL's punishment, Goodell would lessen Brady's suspension to maybe 1 or 2 games.
Old May 21st, 2015, 01:51 PM   #21
2Legit84

2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts2Legit84 is infamous around these parts

Live!: Freakish Mind

Send a message via AIM to 2Legit84
such bullshit.....Disciplining your kid gets you a full year ban, messing with the integrity of the game 1-4 game ban
2Legit84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2015, 08:04 PM   #22
YoungFan

YoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond reputeYoungFan has a reputation beyond repute

Live!: xIceCBx
PSN: IceCB

Games Owned: 56
Send a message via AIM to YoungFan Send a message via Yahoo to YoungFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Legit84 View Post
such bullshit.....Disciplining your kid gets you a full year ban, messing with the integrity of the game 1-4 game ban

Breaking a kids ball-sack open doesn't count and disciplining your kid.
YoungFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 09:48 AM   #23
Jerome

The severity of punishments is all over the map, and it's ridiculous. Lets not forget Ray Rice initially got a two game suspension for literally knocking out his fiancée in an elevator. Even with video of him dragging out her limp body. At the same time some players were getting suspended for twice as long, if not more, for marijuana. Smoke pot, 4 game suspension. Knock a woman out, 2 games.

Sean Payton, who claimed to have not had any knowledge of the bounty "program" happening among his players, got a one year suspension. Bill Belichick claimed the same thing, with Brady, and there's no punishment for him.

It just doesn't make sense.
Old July 28th, 2015, 08:57 PM   #24
Jerome

Brady's 4 game suspension is being upheld, although the fight is not over. Brady is planning to sue the league:

Quote:
Brady's camp will seek an injunction on this suspension to try to keep Brady on the field.

"The NFLPA will appeal this outrageous decision on behalf of Tom Brady," the player's association said in a statement. The suit will be filed Wednesday in Minnesota, per Rapoport.

~ NFL.com
Roger Goodell indicated that one of the reasons for upholding his suspension was his lack of cooperation, including destroying his cell phone.
Old July 30th, 2015, 08:06 AM   #25
DirtySanchez

DirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to allDirtySanchez is a name known to all

Live!: TheDirtyOne

Games Owned: 71
Send a message via ICQ to DirtySanchez Send a message via AIM to DirtySanchez
I feel like Brady and Kraft put Goodell in a really shitty position because they're all buddy-buddy. "I mean, Roger will play along, just, uh... say you have old cell phones destroyed because of hackers or something. I'm sure he'll back down on the suspension once the uproar dies down. I mean it's not like you beat the fuck out of your wife on camera, amirite?!"

Except Kraft is just one owner and letting a team get away with obvious cheating and then a half-assed cover up can only piss off the REST of the owners. And would make Goodell look even more spineless than he already is.
DirtySanchez is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: